Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Forgotten...

I have to say that the most enjoyable part of my job right now is my breakfast and lunch meetings.  Yesterday was a prime example.  I went to lunch with a new friend David Gillham who, with his wife Elaine, have decided to partner with us in the launch of the new church.  I had never spent any time with David, didn't know anything about him really except that he was my dad's age and that he worked for the post office.  But I quickly realized, after we sat down and began talking, that David and I have a very similar passion....passion for the kingdom!!

As we talked, one of the things we discussed, as it related to the kingdom of God, was the recognition that Jesus was very intentional in the people he pursued for relationship.  These relationships were the context of his ministry, the people to whom he brought the kingdom.  Infact, at the outset of his ministry he makes it very clear who those people will be.  He said, "The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor.  He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoner and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."

Who did Jesus name as the those he was pursuing for relationship?  The very ones in their culture who were outcasts, spiritually marginalized and forgotten.  As David and I talked we began to wonder who these forgotten people were in the area where we are doing the new church.  Who are the ones the church has passed by or not pursued for one reason or another?  The damning question may be, Why have we forgotten them?  These are all questions we have to begin answering.  
As David and I talked we decided we want to be a church that is naming and pursuing the forgotten of our area. What are your thoughts?  Who are the forgotten where we live?  Why do we forget some but pursue others?   

No comments: